How to make money using Craigslist
What is Craigslist / Classified Ad Posting Site
Craigslist is an awesome community website that is run by Craig Newmark, a programmer. He started the service in 1995 in San Francisco, California. It’s a website with sections related to jobs, housing, roommates, social groups, for sale, services, gigs, items wanted, resumes, volunteer and intern opportunities and discussion forums. It’s a website of classified advertisements and updated daily. Classified advertising is a form of advertising that is especially common in newspapers or other periodicals. These advertisements are less expensive than other larger display advertisements. Craigslist is an online substitution of these classified advertisements.
In January 2000, Jim Buckmaster joined as a programmer of Craigslist. He contributed to the site’s development and added up some important and best features to the site like search engine, self posting system, personal categories, flagging system, discussion forums etc. Later in November 2000, he was promoted to CEO of Craigslist.
In 2000, Craigslist began to spread to other U.S. cities. Now 50 countries are under its coverage. In 2009, the website hosted 20-billion page views for each month. It’s now listed as one of the greatest websites in the world and holds the 37th position on the list. The three sole shareholders of the website Craigslist.com are Craig Newmark, Jim Buckmaster and eBay.
Is Craigslist free?
Yes, for the users. But depending on the area of a country, its cost may vary for the advertisers. For example, for posting an ad in the San Francisco bay area costs $75, whereas placing the same ad in New York City costs $10.
The interesting and remarkable feature of Craigslist is its user flagging system. It can quickly make out or identify ad postings that are inappropriate and illegal. For flagging, visitors don’t need to have an account and it can be done by any visitor. When an ad post is flagged by a sufficient number of users, it is cause to undergo automated removal. However, the number of flaggings needed for the removal of a posting varies and it’s only known by the authority of Craigslist.com.
Flagging is made for posting ads in wrong category, illegal posting and over-posting.
How to make money using craigslist
What is Craigslist Lead Sale:
Today, Craigslist is being used for generating lead sales for any type of business. It has become the top website for classified ads. People are getting amazing business output from advertising their listings on Craigslist as it generates tons of leads.
For consistently generating quality lead sales for any business using Craigslist, the following steps should be followed:
- Create an account: Creating a Craigslist account is the first and easiest step. It is helpful to get the best business outcome.
- Choose your leads: At this step, the kinds of leads that you are going to work with should be chosen. For example, if you are working in real estate, the leads you can choose are: wholesale buyers, apartment building buyers, first time home buyers, luxury home buyers, lease option buyers etc.
- Create different ad posts: When you have chosen your leads you need to generate traffic or visitors by creating several ads for posting with different titles and descriptions.
- Post your ads: After creating your campaign, you should start posting ads.
- Conduct follow up: Collect information from the leads, for example, name, email, full address etc. and follow up.
- Track and improve: For better results, you should be tracking your ads and results like how many leads you are getting per day, which ads are receiving the most reply etc.
Get started today. It’s easy to sign up and list your items, and you can begin by selling the junk you don’t use! After you get a little experience, move into flipping or another money making avenue!